Old 25-08-2007, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Harry Boswell Harry Boswell is offline

Default tennesse drought resistent plants

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:04:15 -0000, wrote:

My yard, which was never in great form, is a complete disaster with
this extended dry hot weather. I'm in Nashville, TN, Zone 7, clay
soil with cruddy subdivision fill dirt over it, and the other areas
limestone with cruddy subdivision fill dirt. Azaleas do poorly for
me, even when not stressed by so much dry, and I've given up on most
of my azaleas. For a partly shady area, (foundation planting), who's
got suggestions for something that is more likely to survive abuse,
like something a bit more native? Up to 3 feet tall would be fine, as
the height difference between the azaleas and the mountain laurels
looks a little silly. For the record, my crape myrtles, despite being
wacked by our hard late spring frost, are doing great, without any
watering (sunnier area), and the mountain laurels (same area as the
azaleas) are also doing well, although I have watered them a bit
recently.

Crepe myrtles will take almost any level of abuse short of a Ford
F350. Azaleas, not so much. Your soil doesn't sound very azalea-ish.
One shrub I can think of that would fit your criteria, and needs very
little care, is nandina. There are dwarf and low-but-not-quite-dwarf
varieties. Perennial grasses could be mixed in. Vitex would also
work, I think. I'm in Mississippi, so I'm a little hotter and about
as dry this summer. These things work here. Also, mulch is your
friend. 3-4" of pine bark mulch, or pine straw, can make a big
difference.

Harry