Old 25-08-2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Tomato pesticides, anything better than Malathion?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

(though cat and dog feces are definitely not recommended for compost)

They are if you COMPOST them first.

A somewhat complicated issue...

See for example http://www.uaf.edu/ces/compost/dogs.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...e-dog-cat.html

What we do is have a separate compost bin (buried trash can, with the
bottom cut out) for the dog waste. It will be a while before we need
to worry about what to do with the compost (it reduces in volume with
time), but probably we'll eventually rotate the fresh waste to a
different can and let the old one sit for a year or so and use it on
the garden. Despite the lack of high temperatures in this kind of
bin, I'm not persuaded that it is particularly likely to transmit
disease, especially compared with other activities like picking up the
dog doo in the first place (hand-washing after dog walks strikes me as
being at least as important as any composting protocol here).

I don't worry much about disease with well composted stuff.
I also compost for up to two years. Those heavy construction bags are
good for that as they hold up well. I've got some wild grape vines
started composting this year after I had Lynn' ruthlessly prune them. ;-)

Doggy doo goes into 5 gallon buckets. It's pretty rich stuff tho' and
needs to be liberally mixed with sand and other organic compost that is
not so high in Nitrogen. Dog doo compost is why those grapes needed
pruning.

My understanding, no proof offered, is not to use pet or human waste
with non-acidic crops.
--
FB - FFF

Billy