Old 25-08-2007, 10:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Tomato pesticides, anything better than Malathion?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Doggy doo goes into 5 gallon buckets. It's pretty rich stuff tho' and
needs to be liberally mixed with sand and other organic compost that is
not so high in Nitrogen. Dog doo compost is why those grapes needed
pruning.

My understanding, no proof offered, is not to use pet or human waste
with non-acidic crops.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

I saw an earlier post that showed the dangers of parasites harbored in
the manure. Long term composting is supposed to take care of it.
I compost most stuff for two years minimum.

I did not finish that sentence anyway. It only starts off in 5 gallon
buckets. From there it gets mixed with leaf or weed compost and placed
into those large construction grade (heavy mil) trash bags and placed
out along the back fence in a corner of the yard.

I've not actually used dog manure compost on crop plants (I had plenty
of chicken and emu manure for that). It's been being used on the fence
border for the honeysuckle vines and wild muscadine grape vines. We used
to use used cat litter for the flower beds. The Cannas are heavy feeders
and it did them a lot of good.

I had to quit doing that when we switched to scooping litter. That stuff
turns into a heavy, slick clay. Not a good idea at all!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.