Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Renata

Default Germinating seeds question

Perhaps you could get a heating mat? Jung has pretty good prices on a
variety of sizes.

Seeds vary in their requirements and how fussy they are, so it depends
on what you're trying to start. Seeds I started inside this year
(flowers mostly, but some veggies) had temp requirements ranging form
60 (e.g. onions) to 80 (peppers). Just read that spinach germinates
best at 45 (didn't know it was that low). I don't think you're going
to get much germination at 60 except for some cool weather crops and a
few flowers.

Renata

On 25 Mar 2003 21:38:16 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

I've always put them in the oven, the pilot light kept them warm.
Can't do it this year. So, I'm putting them under the florescent lights where I
used to move them to after they germinated. My questions a
Do the lights need to be turned on before they germinate?

How much longer will it take for them to germinate in a room where the
temperature is about 60-62 degrees than in the oven?