Old 26-08-2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Powdery Mildew starting on squash

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
A few of my squash plants have developed powdery mildew. Last year I
lost
all of my pumpkins and squash to this. Has anyone had it start, and then
was able to stop it from spreading? If so, what did you use? I'd hate to
loose my squash and pumpkins. Last year I used a fish/canola oil
mixture,
but it did not help any.

What worked for me once was simple: A heaping tablespoon of baking soda
dissolved in a quart of water. Spray on leaves. I guess it throws the pH
of
the leaf surface in a direction the mildew doesn't like.

Powdery Mildew

This fungus produces a white powdery appearance on leaves and sometimes
other green parts. It can be found on roses, dahlias, chrysanthemums,
peas, and squash. Some rose varieties are so susceptible that you would
be better off digging it up. You can use a fungicide or the non toxic
spray made with baking soda. To each gallon of water add 3-4 tsp. oil
(salad oil) and 3-4 tsp. Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, mix well. Use a
fine spray and apply to affected plants. This also controls black spot
on roses and foliar vegetable diseases. Some plants may show some
sensitivity.
--

Thanks everyone for the info. I had some Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil,
92% fish oil, and 3% lecithin, which I guess acts as an emulsifier so it