Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default Kilmarnock willow tree

In article , William Tasso
writes
sparky wrote:
Hi

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to offer me some advice - I
have just bought a Kilmarnock willow which I have planted

It is now in its Catkin stage and I'm wondering what is the best way
to prune / keep in shape and generally care for it

We are in a similar situation here. It seems to me that upward growth
should be discouraged but I'm not sure when to apply the knife.

I've decided to see whether training is possible, and tied all the
shoots in a graceful downward position with black cotton. It will be
interesting to see what happens when the cotton finally fails - will the
twigs have got used to their new position, or will the spring merrily
upwards again?

Meanwhile, it's looking reasonably graceful, and the cotton is invisible
from more than a couple of feet away.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: