Old 26-08-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger Bob Terwilliger is offline

Default Purslane

zxcvbob wrote:

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and
was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)

It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...

When I was experimenting with purslane a couple years ago, I found that it
makes a good cream soup that can be eaten hot or cold. I also put it raw
into a sandwich with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or into a BLT with
honey mustard. If I was going to pair it with lamb, I'd consider making
plain lamb-and-potato kabobs, then combine purslane, walnuts, and olive oil
into a kind of pesto to accompany.

Now that I know what to do with it, naturally, I haven't seen it since.

Bob