Old 26-08-2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
The Joneses The Joneses is offline

Default Purslane

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane clipped
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bob

Let us know the results.
I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or composted
it.

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were) and
was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)
It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...
Bob

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena