Old 26-08-2007, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Purslane

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I've been weeding my garden today, after almost 2 weeks of rain --
following 2 months of drought. I've pulled up a couple of pounds of
purslane (there's more out there) and wondering what to do with it. I
know it is edible and supposed to be very nutritious.

Any ideas?

I'll probably stirfry some of it with onions, hot peppers, steamed brown
rice, and a little bit of breakfast sausage.

Thanks,
Bob

Let us know the results.
I get a lot of it here too and I've just fed it to the ducks or
composted it.

I tasted a bit of it raw (mainly to see how tough the big stems were)
and was surprised that it is tart; like sorrel, but less so.

Instead of stir-frying it, I blanched some leaves and small stems, and
when they were done I stirred them into some brown rice with a little
chile & garlic paste (the oily kind from a SE Asian market.)

It wasn't /great/ but I'd eat it again. I may look up some Turkish or
Middle Eastern dishes using the stuff, maybe to go with that lamb that's
been in the freezer for a couple of years...

Bob

Sounds interesting, thanks!

I've used Sorrel from time to time just for interest. It's one of the
few "weeds" I allow to propagate since it's a Legume, hence, a nitrogen
fixer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.