Old 25-08-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Summer Diaries Wednesday

On 25/8/07 22:38, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

Interesting visit Sacha I enjoyed it altho I have to admit I was
disappointed not to see you all stuffing your faces with cream tea`s all
round :-)

Lor', so were we when we saw they'd gone elsewhere for their cream teas.
;-)) The making of TV programmes is really rather interesting and I'd love
to know what motivates or directs the research. Many years ago someone
rushed in here asking Ray to produce beans, on canes, in full flower, in
March for a programme being filmed at Staverton which is one of those
heritage railway stations. They were almost indignant when he said this was
out of season and impossible, even if we grew them!
Ray and I were talking about this yesterday and what struck both of us about
the crew that came here this time (HHN and Ray have been tellied a few
times) was how intelligent they were in allowing the experts, Ray and
Christine, to guide them, partly, to where they should film. Too many think
they know everything and make a bog of it, frankly. We had one lot here
from a foreign channel a couple of years ago who entirely missed an early
flowering and unidentified but important Camellia until I showed it to them
off camera.
The Summer Diaries crowd were young, very well-mannered and considerate and
as I say, allowed Ray and Christine to guide the filming to some extent.
They did their pick ups later but there was never a 'we know best' moment.
They even rang me for the name and number of the Rector for permission to
film in the churchyard. I rather liked that display of good manners and
consideration for the sensibilities of others. While the Beeb is getting a
bit of a bashing I thought I'd just mention that because it seems only fair
to show it's not typical. This lot were professional, considerate, polite
and alert.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk