Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Natalie

Default Kilmarnock willow tree

I've decided to see whether training is possible, and tied all the
shoots in a graceful downward position with black cotton. It will be
interesting to see what happens when the cotton finally fails - will the
twigs have got used to their new position, or will the spring merrily
upwards again?

Meanwhile, it's looking reasonably graceful, and the cotton is invisible
from more than a couple of feet away.

You should definitely be able to train any shoots to do what you like.

When I first got the one that is now at school, the branches were not very
even and tended to bend towards the stem. I put a hanging basket wire bit,
upside down, on the top and tied the branches to it. This was very
successful.

I'm now considering plaiting some of the branches - to make it more fun for
the children. In time they should then fuse together to make one...I think.

Natalie