Old 26-08-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Any decent way to nix out quackgrass?

"raycruzer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 25, 7:42 pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:23:11 -0700, Eigenvector
wrote:
Am I just basically screwed and resigned to pulling it out with my
hands?
This stuff is super highly aggressive - and it looks uglier than hell
boot! I might mention, I don't want to destroy my lawn in the process
of
eliminating it. If said task isn't going to be possible, that too is
fine
as it narrows down my options.

There used to be a thing called a "quack machine" for trying to get
quackgrass
out of fields. My agrostology prof grew up running one -- over, and
over,
and over again. And it's absolutely pestilential when you get it in your
gardens. Lots of nice stolons, lots of photosynthetic reserve packed
away.

My two weapons of choice on the homeowner scale are wiped applications of
glyphosate or solarizing.

Either way, you're probably in for several repeats before you're out of
quackgrass.

Kay

Your favorite twisting weeder hand tool may reduce the labor involved
in removing quackgrass. The twisting action works better than most
other tools for removing grasses of this type, including crabgrass and
bermudagrass.

Best of luck!

I can give that a try, anything is better than pulling, snapping the root
off - then watching the root spawn 100 more.