Old 26-08-2007, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Want to get rid of walnut tree?

"graham" wrote in message
newsnjAi.94878$rX4.10062@pd7urf2no...

Furniture makers/restorers will often avoid backyard trees because they
often have nails in them. A friend of mine in Suffolk has a wood yard for
a furniture company and they always go over a tree trunk with a metal
detector before cutting. You'd be surprised at what they find. A tree
from near a WW2 airfield had a complete ceramic insulator block inside.
You can imagine what that would do to a saw!
Graham

Another site I visit for photography, had a tree with just a little bit of a
house brick showing. The caption was 'Brick eating tree' I posted a picture
I took of a tree which had had a wire hawser passed round it to support a
fence. In time the tree had 'eaten' the hawser. I can post the picture
somewhere A) if anyone is interested and B) you tell me where :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily