Old 27-08-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Transporting house plants in hot car

tenplay wrote in news:3
:

We will be moving from Olympia in Western Washington to Sacramento in
Northern California during the last week of September. We have a
variety of house plants that we are very fond of and would like to take
with us. It takes about 12 hours by car. We have a couple of Subaru
Foresters (mini SUVs) that we will be driving. The temperatures on the
way will be in the 80's and 90's. What steps should we take to ensure
that the plants survive the drive? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

I just moved a 35 year old, bushel-basket sized, mixed planter of Xmas
cactus and hoya in the trunk of my Neon. It was a fifteen hour trip. I
watered it well, opened the trunk when we stopped for rest stops to give it
some air and got it out immediately upon arrival. It did fine. So did the
container of chocolate mint that I had tossed into the trunk beside it. A
few hours won't hurt most plants. It's being forgotten in the trunk/car
for a few days that usually does them in.

I wish I had had room to move my beloved herbs, too. I miss my herb
garden.