Old 27-08-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Any new ideas to get rid of moles?

On Aug 27, 8:00 am, enigma wrote:
wrote roups.com:

My battle with moles in my lawn has continued for about 5
years. I have not tried too many products and my best
weapon against moles has been a spring loaded trap which
drives 2 sets of prongs (about 4 prongs) down into a tunnel
when a mole is under the trap. I kill about 2 moles each
summer with these spring loaded traps but I still get moles
in my lawn the next summer.

moles eat grubs (such as the larvae of Japanese beetles). to
eliminate the moles, you need to eliminate the food source. i
recommend treating your lawn with milky spore. it does take a
year or so to show any effect, but it will remain active for
10 or more years.
if you continue to use traps or poison bait (which i do NOT
recommend at all because any critter that may dine upon your
poisoned mole, such as a neighbor cat or a corvid will also be
poisoned), you are only prolonging your problem. as soon as
you rid yourself of one mole, another will move into it's
ecological niche. get rid of the food supply (kill the grubs)
& the moles will move elsewhere.
lee who has 2 cats & a dog that dig up & kill moles

I agree with the last poster. We got rid of the grubs and the moles
went elsewhere. And we are next to woods on 2 sides. It has been a
pleasure not to see their tunnels and holes the past 2 years.