Old 27-08-2007, 10:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] do_see@do.com is offline

Default Grass Cuttings

Dave wrote:
Just curious. What happens to piles of grass clippings if left alone to
decay without aids? Am assuming you're speaking of St.Augustine. What
about Bermuda or fescue? Are you imagining all blowing away in the wind,
turning to fairy dust or what? Or just non-specifically negative without
explanation?

Are there any common vegetation, added to grass clippings, that won't aid
its decomposition to compost?
Dave

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Bob said:

someday there will be decent compost

Not from only grass clippings, there won't.

--

Eggs

-A jumper cable walks into a bar. The barman says "I'll serve you, but
don't start anything."

All I know is I left a good pile on the ground and in a couple of weeks
it had a really bad ammonia smell. I turned it and it was moldy inside.
Finally just loaded it up and took it to the local compost facility.
There they mix it with other plant material, ie leaves, plant stems and
other organic material. they also have a big machine that turns and
chops it every so often. Turns into a great organic mulch, though I
usually sift it before I use it.