Old 27-08-2007, 11:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Grass Cuttings

[top-posting fixed]

Dave said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Bob said:

someday there will be decent compost

Not from only grass clippings, there won't.

Just curious. What happens to piles of grass clippings if left alone to
decay without aids? Am assuming you're speaking of St.Augustine. What
about Bermuda or fescue? Are you imagining all blowing away in the wind,
turning to fairy dust or what? Or just non-specifically negative without
explanation?

You need more than /just/ grass clippings, in order to make a quality
compost. That's what I'm saying, Dave. Don't you understand that? Grass
clippings are nitrogen-rich, but you also need brown matter (carbon-rich)
in there, too (chopped leaves, etc). A good mix would be 25 parts brown to
1 part green (roughly, by weight). The green materials provide protein for
the microbes, the brown materials provide energy for them.

Are there any common vegetation, added to grass clippings, that won't aid
its decomposition to compost?

I avoid pine needles, which can raise the acidity, or at least make it hard
to control. I also avoid weed roots and seedheads.

--

Eggs

What if there were no hypothetical questions?