Old 27-08-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Holes In Tomatoes

I'm having the same problem & this morning found the culprit while picking.
It was a corn ear worm. I guess it has been so dry that they are looking for
moisture any where. I sprayed with Bt, that should cure the problem
Steve
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article j1zAi.12305$vP5.3140@edtnps90,
Friar Donk wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions as to what might be chewing holes in my
tomatoes.

I'm finding a great deal of tomatoes (green or otherwise) with a single
hole eaten in them. I cut them open and there aren't any worms or other
critters inside and I don't see any evindence of slugs (ie trails). I
treat them every two weeks with Bt, just in case but it's still
persistent. I wouldn't be so upset if one or two tomatoes were eaten but
it seems almost half of them have this 1/4 wide inch hole bored in them,
to a depth of about the same and mostly it's only a single hole.

I visually scoured the plants ( I only have six) to pick out any culprits
and all I found were a couple of stink bugs, one slug on the ground and
no
sign of horn worms.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Try some bird netting and see if that helps?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson