Old 28-08-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Purslane

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane
4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork
2 tbs chopped onion
1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred)
1 tsp ground coriander seed
salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat.
Season. Cover and cook until tender.

You realize, I trust, that you just killed 2 cups of purslane and their
health benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids are meant to protect against
heart disease not facilitate it.
--

ROTFL! So don't cook it that way. The fatty acids are probably
heat-proof anyway otherwise not much point in eating cooked fish.