Old 27-08-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default 100+ F

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
The splitting would be the reason for the metering device.
You could set it for 'X' number of gallons. If it split you would lose 'X'
number of gallons and it would shut off.

I was to Lowe's today to pick up narrow bubble wrap and some clear tape to
seal it..... the guy working there said they don't sell these meters. I
drove across the Hwy. to Home Depot. No meters there either; that man said
they don't carry water meters of any kind. Maybe their larger stores in the
city may have them. I'll be going into the big city in a week or two. BTW,
the HD out here doesn't sell orchids anymore. :*(

Another option might be getting 'sprinkler' system pipe. Either 3/4 or
1''. It is made for constant pressure in ground .You would need to check
about using it above ground. Fittings are available to connect it to your
outside spigot as are 'u' shaped wires to hold it down.

I can look into these also.... and hope they're easy to move when it's mowed
back there. If it weren't for the rock at the surface in most places we
could have run a waterline to the GHs. We were lucky with the electric's
which were closer... only had to go around one huge rock. Nothing can be
left over the ground in winter when humidity is so low and it's needed most,
or it freezes. Also there's the cold water factor in winter using a hose to
water the plants. I carried water from the house all last winter. It was
getting old having to go up and down the deck stairs with the watering cans.

I think this winter I'm going to have a large trashcan full of water in the
larger green house itself, filled using the hose and warmed by the sun.

But that doesn't cure the high temps inside my GHs in the summer.........
since I live out in the country and have plenty of space the plants may just
spend their summers outside.