Old 28-08-2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
vert20 vert20 is offline

Default Holes In Tomatoes

On Aug 27, 8:00 am, Friar Donk wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions as to what might be chewing holes in my
tomatoes.

I'm finding a great deal of tomatoes (green or otherwise) with a single
hole eaten in them. I cut them open and there aren't any worms or other
critters inside and I don't see any evindence of slugs (ie trails). I
treat them every two weeks with Bt, just in case but it's still
persistent. I wouldn't be so upset if one or two tomatoes were eaten but
it seems almost half of them have this 1/4 wide inch hole bored in them,
to a depth of about the same and mostly it's only a single hole.

I visually scoured the plants ( I only have six) to pick out any culprits
and all I found were a couple of stink bugs, one slug on the ground and no
sign of horn worms.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
The Good Friar

You must remember that it takes awhile for the Bt to create a
defense in your garden. As all those little bacteria need to reproduce
and then really infect target insects. In the mean time, try a little
mixture of dish soap and hot pepper sauce sprayed on them.