Old 28-08-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default spider mites

"blackdog" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 27, 4:14 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
We're having a terrible drought where I live and spider mites have been
are
nightmare. I've sprayed my large number of inpatients with several
insecticides including a systemic and these pests keep coming back.
Today I
bought Neem Oil to try. has anyone had a problem using this product on
flowers such as impatiens, orchids, geraniums etc?

Also black-leg rot is killing off many of the geraniums and impatiens.
I'm
about to give up for the summer...... :-(

I know that spider mites hate water. In the beginning of the
spidermite period I used to shoot my roses with a strong spray of
water. It knocks off quite a bit. The sunspray oil worked but also
burned in summer, maybe Neem oil would do the trick. There were a few
other things we used for spider mites but I hate chemicals and prefer
non-toxic.

I sprayed them with water every other evening when I watered and that did
nothing to get rid of the mites. I don't like using chemicals either but
the numbers of mites and number of afflicted plants were totally out of
hand.