Old 28-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default spider mites

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"blackdog" wrote in message
ups.com...
I sprayed them with water every other evening when I watered and that did
nothing to get rid of the mites. I don't like using chemicals either but
the numbers of mites and number of afflicted plants were totally out of
hand.

Just spraying isn't going to work unless you also really give a good blast
to the under sides of the leaves. They'll hide out where the water doesn't
hit. I have a 40° wand type thing that has adjustments for showers/sprays. I
turn it so that I can run it close to the ground under the plants and blast
the spray UP until everything is good and soaked. This seems to work even
during the worst hot weather spider mite attacks with my garden. I use Neem
oil as a last resort (white flies...arrgh!) and only spray very late in the
afternoon so the Neem is not still wet on the plant the next day to avoid
burns. Blasting with water takes care of the spider mites and aphids if you
make sure you get under the leaves and in the crooks and crannies, and do
this several days in a row.

Val