Old 29-08-2007, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Grass Cuttings

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
willshak said:

on 8/26/2007 6:07 AM Eggs Zachtly said the following:
Bob said:

someday there will be decent compost

Not from only grass clippings, there won't.

I have a decent compost heap from just mowing grass, weeds, dead leaves,
and whatever other vegetation is laying on the lawn. No kitchen scraps
or anything else, except lime. It's been producing compost for 22 years.

Which proves my point. You don't have /just/ grass clippings.

My compost pile is 95% or more grass, and composts fine. I spread the clippings
evenly over the pile a few inches deep, and sprinkle a bit of dirt over it to
innoculate the compost layer with the necessary bacteria. This avoid smelly
compost and uncomposted lumps within the pile, since I don't turn it. I let it
pile up until the bin is full, gradually emptying the other bin. When the second
bin is empty, and the first is full, I start filling the other bin. When I want
compost from the first bin, I shovel the uncomposted layer from the top onto the
other bin, and thereby access fully composted grass.

You said you want 25 parts brown to one part green? My mix is much closer to 25
parts green to one part brown. It composts fine, and keeps my garden going good.

Bob