Old 29-08-2007, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Court Court is offline

Default trees for the backyard

I strongly suggest you have your property surveyed by a reputable
local plant nursery. They probably won't charge you more than $100
and could even be free if you give them the planting job, which I also
strongly recommend... since you don't want to wait half a lifetime for
a sapling to become a tree it would behoove you to have more sizable
specimens professionally planted... many arid clime evergreens are
very slow growing. As angry as you sound you'll probably be very
happy with instant eyesore blockage. The nursery may also recommend
other appropriate screening besides trees... vines work well on a
trellis, especially grape vines. But just planting whatever strikes
your fancy without professional intervention will very likely turn out
to be a big mistake, a huge waste of time, energy, and money. Without
actually seeing your property with my own eyes all the specific advice
I could offer would be wild speculation, even photos don't offer real
help. Have a professional come to your property. And don't rush
headlong into any plan thrust upon you, take some weeks to mull things
over, mistakes can be very costly and you may have to live with the
wrong trees for a very long time, if you're not already too old, trees
just don't grow very rapidly, not even the fastest growers... a newly
planted tree typically needs five years to completely recover from
transplant shock before it actually shows measurable growth. One
specific piece of advice I will offer, make sure that whatever you
decide, that it won't grow so it hangs over on your neighbor's side of
the property line... if laws are still as they were when I lived in So
Cal neighbors can lop off whatever hangs on their side, I can still
remember the fig tree wars.

Great advice. Thank you! Thoughts of a trellis with a vine for the
meantime sounds like a nice plan. I'll see what tree nurseries are
around to scope out my yard.