Old 29-08-2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Court Court is offline

Default trees for the backyard

On Aug 28, 7:42 pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:18:24 -0700, Court wrote:
need something faster and taller). I'd like something that grows fast

Fast growing trees are typically quite weak-wooded and short lived... so you
might want to consider the "so now I have to take it out" factor in your
decisions. You might want to grow something fast now, as well as something
that grows more slowly -- then take out the fast growing tree as soon as
the others have a bit of growth.

Thanks for the tip. Seems a trellis is going to go there for as a few
nice ones here brought up that idea

You're in USDA zone 9, which means the coolest temperature you see in
10 years, on average, is not below 20o, probably Sunset zone 15. Do you
have a copy of the Sunset Western Gardens book?

Yes i have a copy, but its intimidating

Revisiting your idea of an evergreen tree... is this because you want
a green crown all year, or do you just not want to rake leaves? Some of
the leguminous trees -- mimosa for one example -- have such fine leaflets
that when they fall, they virtually disappear.

There's a pool nearby, so I have to keep things as clean as
possible.

Where and how high are any power or phone lines? How big a canopy spread can
your yard accomodate? What easements are on your property?

No phone lines in the way, This particular area isnt that wide for
canopy maybe 10-12 feet total (assuming neighbors will chop off
branches if it gets wider), I want a wider tree for the front yard,
but I better save that for a different post. Easements are pretty
lax, as mentioned, neighbors get chop-happy if anything intrudes that
they don't approve of, but this time, at least they wont own the
trunk.

Kay

Thanks, great advice!!!!!!
-Court