Old 29-08-2007, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Default Tomato Plants Dying

Paul expounded:

Hello all,

First of all, i'm a newbie. i just moved into a house from an
apartment, and the idea of having an organic kitchen garden has always
excited me, so i built one, and i've got a few crops going now that
are coming out well so far.

Roundup is not organic.

The okra, pumpkin vines, spearmint, pepper, and basil plants are
thriving in the soil, and doing very well. I live in central Florida.

My problem: my Heatwave tomato plants have wilted over the past 2
days, even with the same amount of water and plant food and
temperature that they're used to. the only thing different i can
imagine is that a few days ago i bought some Round Up that said it was
safe for use in flower and vegetable gardens to kill some grass and
weeds that had popped up around the tomato plants. However i didn't
use much of it, just enough to get the grass and weed seedlings, and i
thought it should be safe around the plants. but as of now the tomato
plants have their leaves drooped down, very weak and soft, and they
look pretty pathetic.

You need to pull weeds, not use chemicals, especially around food. The
tomatoes are toast, pull them and learn.

The other plants that i did not spray the roundup near are doing well
still.

Then don't spray near them and they'll be fine.

Go to the library and get a book on organic gardening, there are many.
One universal theme is no use of chemicals to control weeds, and no
chemical fertilizer to feed the plants, instead, you feed the soil
with compost and mulches. There is much more, read and ask questions.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked