Old 29-08-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Swallows

On 29/8/07 15:28, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:
snip

Ours arrive about 21st April - we keep a record. The first year they
inspected but didn't build, and the second year we were privileged to
actually watch them build their nest, raise their young and watch the young
birds learning to fly. (We hid behind the trailer, which must have intrigued
the next-doors.) I have a wonderful photo of all the babies lined up along a
beam watching me - a bit Disney-like! The second year they used the same
nest, raised a brood and then to our surprise built a second nest and raised
a second brood in that. This year we have two pairs which each appear to
have raised two broods in the existing nests. We would be happy if they built
more nests, and it would be interesting to set up a few fake ones for them as
well. We have a pond as you know, and sometimes we hold our breath in the
summer if we are sitting there and they dive and swoop over the pond like an
aerial ballet, presumably both taking insects and drinking. While they are
building the nest, they dip into the pond for the water they need for the
nest.

Beats working for a living!

You are lucky! Whatever it takes, we don't have it here, unfortunately.
Your description is so evocative.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk