Old 29-08-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default DIY Valve Box?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:31:23 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I need to construct an underground valve box to house my Bottom Drain
shutoff. I was originally thinking painted/fibreglass SonoTube, but the guys
over in Home Repair suggested ABS, which I thought would be pricey. But I
see that they make something called a Curb Valve Box for just such usage.
Although I couldn't find one for retail sale.

Any bright and cheap ideas? Valve will be 4 FEET down BTW.

Mine is only a couple feet down so I slipped a piece of 4" PVC (I had
one already.) contoured to fit on one end over the 4" knife valve, as
opposed to a ball valve and that works well for me, since I can reach
it with my hand to raise and lower the handle. I keep a wood cover
on it and use an insecticide occasionally to keep spiders out.

I see visions of a long wrench to reach the handle to open and close
the valve. You could build a wood wrench to reach and operate the
valve that would be adequate, even for a plastic handle. To me that
would mean storing another wrench that only I know it's purpose.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb