Old 30-08-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default Home Depot ...........

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Well, like everything in life....you get what you pay for.

Aside from the once in a while lucky find at Home Depot or Lowes, most of
the time I find them to have plants that have dried out, been blasted with
cold air (from the door or A/C) or overpotted because someone thinks a
plant from a 4 inch pot is worth more money if they move it up to a 6 inch
pot.

Oh yes, this is quite true for many stores. The bigger store in a nearby
city has an older women working there who is good with the plants and she
CARES. I bought most of my orchids there over the years. She directs me to
the new arrivals and she does take care of those marked down to 1/2 price.
Their orchids are guaranteed for one year. They give you a refund - no
questions asked. Only 1 has died on me so far.

My limit for a single plant is $50. I have broken that rule very few
times. My usual price per pot is about $15.

I have become the Orchid Snob that I swore I would never become. I won't
just buy a plant because it's cheap. I want a label (no more Phal Sans
Nom pour moi). I like to see some AOS awards if it is something that has
bloomed. I want it healthy and bug free. If it is a speculative cross
I'd like to know something about the parents. Yeah...I'm an Orchid Snob
and proud of it!

Nothing wrong with that. I buy what I see and like, like the deep yellow
phal I picked up today. Those I bought out of bloom so far have not been
disappointments. One den is now blooming with 2 spikes - a deep purple
color. Two more are starting to shoot up spikes. One seems to still be
resting.

I have a large greenhouse for someone who does this as a hobby. If I'm
going to take my time away from my other plants to care for something that
is sick or sad then I'm not going to enjoy the hobby. Life is too short
to doctor something back that someone else has ignored. Space is limited
and expensive (as you know) in the greenhouse. I want to increase my
chance of success.

I wont take sick and sorry plants for any price. They're not worth the time
to carry home. These are nice healthy plants, just out of bloom.

I want big flowery plants that when someone sees it goes "I want that!" I
have a few of the tiny interesting things that I grow just to see if I can
but most of my stuff have big beautiful flower potential.

Don't they all with good care? :-)

To keep the costs down I would recommend that you find another orchid
lover who is close by and share the shipping costs. Group your purchases
and check multiple sources. If you buy one from this guy and two from
this other guy your per plant shipping cost is going to kill you. Rather
than buy 10 HD Bargains over the year save your money and buy some good
stuff mailorder.

You're judging plants you haven't seen. Anyone can purchase a big beautiful
flowering orchid. How many can start with small young plants like my catts
and and in a year or two have gorgeous blooms?

I live way out in the country. I don't know anyone in my area that is
interested in orchids.

Good growing,
Gene