Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Potassium Permanganate question

First of all, you should mix a "stock" solution of PP. Use 15 grams (or
approx. 2 LEVEL tsp.) of PP to 1 ltr. of very warm water (this makes a 4 ppm
stock solution). I usually put about 1/3 of the water in the bottle, then
the PP, shake it like crazy, then fill the rest of the bottle with more hot
water. CLEARLY MARK IT before you store it. Add enough of this solution to
make the water deep purple, submerge your plants, cover them with something
(to keep curious hands out), and come back when the water looks like tea. Or
later. 24 hrs. should be OK. Drain the tub, rinse the plants, and rinse
again before you put them in the pond.

Be very, very careful with this stuff. If you're prone to making contact
with stuff when you play with it, wear rubber gloves. If you get it on your
skin, have some peroxide right there to apply to your skin, or be prepared
to look like strong tea until your skin flakes off. It will permanently
stain clothes and most other stuff it comes in contact with. It can be very
scary stuff, but it's also very useful. I finally got over my fear of the
stuff last year . . .it has too many benefits not to use.

Lee

"ande" wrote in message
What is the amount of PP I should mix to soak new plants before adding

them
to my pond? How long should I soak them? I know you guys have posted

this
before but I just can't remember. I promise to write it down this time

:0)