Old 30-08-2007, 01:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default The Eggplant

FragileWarrior wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote in
"Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Nick Cramer wrote:
| "Joan F \(MI\)" wrote:
[ . . . ]

Speaking of Thai -- what is Thai Basil? I saw some for sale when I was
trying to replenish my missing herb garden.

There are three types of basil commonly used in Thai cooking. The most
common one, Thai basil, which is known as horapa in Thai. has a stronger
taste than many other sweet basils. The herb has small leaves, purple stems
and a subtle licorice taste.

Holy Basil is a well known aromatic, short lived perennial herb or small
shrub, often grown as an annual. The foliage is green or purple, strongly
scented. Leaves have petioles, and are ovate, up to 5cm (2") long, usually
somewhat toothed. Flowers are white, tinged purple, borne in racemes.

Its aroma is distinctively different from its close cousin, the Thai Basil
which is sometimes wrongly called Holy Basil, in shops and on the internet,
but they can be distinguished by their aroma and flavour. Holy Basil is
slightly hairy, whereas Thai Basil is smooth and hairless; Holy Basil does
not have the strong aniseed or licorice smell of Thai Basil, and Holy Basil
has a spicy flavor sometimes compared to cloves.

I don't know what the third one is and my Thai wife won't be home for
another three weeks. ;-(

HTH

~Semper Fi~