Old 30-08-2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default DIY Valve Box?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:10:45 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

We're on the same wavelength. I ended up buying one of those round sprinkler
boxes, a closet flange and a piece of 4"ABS. The box is not really meant for
underground, but I think it will be OK. The next trick will be a reliable
handle as you mentioned. But I've got a thousand plubing chores before I get
to that. :-)

I like the knife/gate because it is much easier for me to operate.
Probably easier to make a T slot or grove near the end of a suitably
dimensioned 2x4 for use as a wrench, than one for a ball valve.

I just Googled 4" knife valve and they are a lot more expensive than
when I bought mine. I would be tempted to leave it out today. I did
clear my 4" drain (It has sweeps, not elbows.) once, but it wasn't a
major job and only took a few minutes with a water hose.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb