Old 30-08-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Planting Vegetable in Fall

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:06:43 -0000, Johnny wrote:

[...]

To increase seed germination, water the planting area with a fine mist
30 minutes before you plant. This lowers the soil temperature and
creates the conditions that cool-season crops prefer. If the weather
is unordinarily sunny and hot, a good technique to regulate soil
temperature is to water the bed well and cover with several inches of
straw, then water again. You can remove the straw after a few days and
plant your seeds in the cool soil.

Very helpful! We are having inordinately hot weather here in So.Cal,
even on the coast.

I generally try to plant in late afternoon, but even so, the soil
is hot from all day. Hadn't thought of cooling the soil down!

Question: If I can't get hold of straw, what else could I use?

TIA

Persephone