Old 30-08-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Blight Resistant Tomatoes

On 30/8/07 15:25, in article ,
"John Vanini" wrote:

Thanks both for your postings. It's early days yet and, yes, I know, there's
insufficient information but Ferline does look a little hopeful!

I grew 'Super Marmande', 'Moneymaker', 'Sungold', 'Millionaire', and
'Nyagous' (a black Russian tomato) in groups of 4 plants, east to west, and
in the order given. None of these claim to be blight resistant and aren't.
The worst and first hit were the 'Super Marmande', and 'Moneymaker' and,
then, to a much lesser degree, the 'Sungold'.

The last two groups of tomato plantsweren't much affected when I looked a
couple of says ago but may have been since. The 'Nyagous' has survived the
best, at the moment with hardly a blemish. Mind you when I go up to the
allotment tomorrow, I am expecting the worst!

This, without doubt, only shows the direction in which the blight travelled,
and is travelling, and doesn't reflect any resistance to blight by the
plants. However, if that is the case then it appears to be travelling slowly
and against the prevailling wind!

I shall keep searching as, next year, I want to avoid problems if I can
because I really do love my fried tomatoes. Bought shop tomatoes just have
no flavour, raw or fried.

I read somewhere that if the tomato plants are grown out in the open but
under some sort of cover to keep off the rain it's possible to avoid blight
(a large polytunnel, for instance) - as long as there's a good movement of
air across the plants. It makes sense but it's almost the same as growing
them in a greenhouse and polytunnels aren't cheap!

snip

We grew Jersey Sunrise this year and only that one - a heritage variety.
The ones outside got blight, the ones in the prop. house (big, vents full
length but warm) are still doing pretty well. We picked 5 lovely ones at
lunchtime.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk