Old 30-08-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Blight Resistant Tomatoes

"John Vanini" wrote ...
Having had Tomato Blight this year like I've never had it before, I
searched the Internet for any sign of blight resistant tomatoes. Some
sites say there isn't such a thing while others say there is and some
offer seeds.
I offer the following information and three extracts from a couple of
well-known seed suppliers' sites, for those who may be interested.
I'd welcome the opinion and experiences of others in the group as I love
tomatoes (a whole pan-full, fried slowly and served with smoked bacon -
now I'm drooling! (LOL)) and would like to do better next year.
Ferline (from Thompson & Morgan) In recent trials Ferline has shown
impressive blight tolerance in a garden situation. Also resistant to
fusarium and verticillium wilt.
Legend (from Thompson & Morgan) In recent trials showing impressive
blight tolerance in a garden situation. Legend was bred in the USA by Dr.
Jim Baggett at Oregon State University. Both Thompson & Morgan and Dr
Baggett believe Legend could be the answer to many gardeners' prayers to
help overcome this most destructive disease.
Fantasio F1 (From Suttons Seeds) Good Blight tolerance helps ensure that
the leaves stay green and healthy. Shows resistance to Tobacco Mosaic
Virus, Verticilium and Fusarium Wilts, and Nematodes too.
Has anyone any experience of these seeds?

"Ferline" certainly is resistant, I've proved it to myself over the last few
years, even that succumbed eventually out on the allotment this year but
then it was surrounded by others with blight. From now on we intend to just
grow blight resistant varieties so they should all be OK.
Found some "Fantasio" which is also from T & M and is also resistant.
What we now want is a cooking type, like "Brigade" was, deep red flesh with
little "water" that is resistant.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden