Old 30-08-2007, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Thanks for that information, Sacha,

Keeping the tomato plants covered and easy to water whilst ensuring a good
circulation of air is what I've read, on many sites now, should be done.
Your email seems to me to prove that.

The next trick is to design and build something that will do that for the
open allotment but with the minimum of cost and labour! It should be
something that can be taken out to the allotment, erected quickly and
easily, and, when finished with, dismantled and put away until the following
year. That's what I'm, also, looking into for next year.

It seems that, while there's no cure for blight, there's a possibility that
it can be prevented with the use of 'Bordeaux Mixture'. I believe that this
should be sprayed on the plants, in June, and at two weeks intervals. I'm
not sure at the moment so I've got to look into that again.

Regarding my question to Kings Seeds, I have just received the following
email from them. It says, "We do hope to list the variety Ferline F1 next
season, It is a variety, that in trial has shown good tolerance to blight.
At the present I do not think that there is a totally resistant variety."

Fair enough, we're a little bit further down the road towards me having
fried tomatoes for breakfast and for a longer period in the coming years!

Regards,

John

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

We grew Jersey Sunrise this year and only that one - a heritage variety.
The ones outside got blight, the ones in the prop. house (big, vents full
length but warm) are still doing pretty well. We picked 5 lovely ones at
lunchtime.
--
Sacha