Old 31-08-2007, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default :-((Off we go again :-((

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Now I understand better why Burns said, " Oh what a gift, a gift to
gie us, to see ourselves as others see us".

Wasn't it "the giftie gie us"?

Quite possibly. In fact, I remembered it as 'the giftie gie us', but when I
googled it there were umpteen 'alternatives' and I chose one which I thought
looked a reasonable near standard English translation, not knowing what a
'giftie' is.

I research Scottish dialect to write ridiculous kids' books in a Oor
Wullie stylee.

Sad, eh?

Not at all, it sounds good to me.