Old 31-08-2007, 07:27 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Cliff Cliff is offline

Default Id this for me

Looks like Nut Sedge. Left to it's own it will spread by the underground
roots and also will spread by seed if left to go that far. Comes back every
year. It is tough to get rid of in the lawn. Pulling is one option but
that usually leaves the root and it comes right back. Last year in the
drought I had luck with Molasses and water. One cup in a gallon and soak
the area around the crown. Didn't seem to work this year I expect because
of the rain. IMAGE is made to take care of it and does a good job, may take
a couple of sprayings. The downside in the St Augustine is that it acts
like a growth inhibitor. The grass will stop growing where you spray but
will not be killed and will eventually recover.

Good Luck,

Cliff
"Dave" wrote in message
Was concerned about it spreading. Apparently, has no vine properties, or
major rootage. Just want to know what it is now. Interspersed with St.
Augustine in some locations near the house.

http://i13.tinypic.com/63cg2df.jpg

Thanks.

Dave