Old 31-08-2007, 03:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Tomato Hornworm with wasp eggs

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Though unfriendly, it's a beautiful "worm". Google it for photos. When
we lived in Brooklyn (New York), I would occasionally find them by
spotting their droppings. They were never infected so I would always
remove them. But this one was food for wasps, a good thing, so I let it be
.

-Mariana
Monmouth County NJ.

I did Google, thanks for the suggestion.

I noted that:

" ... This insect is parasitized by a number of insects. One of the most
common is a small braconid wasp. Larva that hatch from wasp eggs laid on the
hornworm feed on the inside of the hornworm until the wasp is ready to
pupate. The cocoons appear as white projections protruding from the
hornworms body. ... "

which made me wonder if the white projections on your hornworm were cocoons
rather than eggs. Solitary wasps' eggs are usually very small.

Mary