Old 31-08-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default floating water lilly

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:42:30 CST, MattR wrote:

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have a now huge water
lilly that pulled itself out of its pot and is now floating and taking
over the top of my pond. Apparently it doesn't need soil. Should I try
and repot it?

I have better luck with potted and well fertilized lilies. I have a
couple weighted down with bricks or just dangling in the water in the
goldfish pond that have an occasional bloom. Nothing like the
performance of the ones in a pot of dirt with fertilizer.

Koi are a bit rougher on non potted lilies. I use larger, (baseball
size) stones in the lily pots in the koi pond to keep the fish from
digging out the soil and plants. Ever notice how the koi can swim to
what looks like a couple inches under a bit of food on the water and
make it disappear? They are like a vacuum hose in a flower pot too.
They can suck up dirt with amazing force and spit it all over the
bottom of the pond.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb