Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default :-((Off we go again :-((

"BAC" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message
"BAC" wrote in message
"BAC" wrote in message

snip

The mind boggles! I can think of many things I would be very reluctant
to say or do in public, which I have said and done without turning a
hair in private. I bet you can too.

I'm not thinking of pubic scatching here or farting or some such similar
behaviour. We both know that we are writing about what those
"supporters" you mention who have identified something that they find
offensive and which they see in their own minds as being unacceptable
behaviour.

They have not necessarily seen something they find offensive or
unacceptable, since that may not be their motivation for contacting a
poster by private e-mail. They may well just empathise with a person for
receiving a tongue lashing they don't think was entirely deserved. Their
support may also be couched in terms of mitigation of the 'offence' of the
'bully', e.g. 'don't take it to heart, old so and so does go off on one
every now and again, but he/she means well and has been a great servant to
the group, etc.'.

???? But you think they are unable to post that in public? The mind
boggles.

Would they stand and do nothing if they saw a shoplifter or an assault?
And if they wouldn't, where do they draw the line in their sense of
personal responsibility?

We're not all fearless 'have a go heroes' willing to risk life and limb
regardless of the possible consequences. Sometimes, people won't even come
forward as witnesses, for fear of the possible consequences.

No wonder society is going to the dogs.

(snip)
Yeah but he doesn't have Betjeman's sense of whimsy or humour or skill
with words.

Betjeman was a great poet, IMO, unfairly looked own on by some as trite
and populist, rather than accessible and relevant to his period, but Burns
was a considerable genius. Fortunately, we don't have to 'rank' them, but
can enjoy them both as the mood takes us :-)

I don't dislike Burns. I just don't read any of his poetry very often.
And if we did have to rank poets, I think I'd probably change my ranking
week (or month) about and put at top whoever I'd read most recently.

I'd think I'd do the same with authors.