Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
raeannsimpson raeannsimpson is offline

Default cornstalks & soybeans

On Aug 31, 9:51 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:20:08 -0700, raeannsimpson

snip

Cattlemen I once helped fed baled corn stalks to their cattle in a bad
hay year. They suplemented heavily with Range Cubes to make up for the
lack of protein and nutrients in the corn stalks.

The cattle weren't very enthused about the baled stalks, but they ate.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/article...nd-alternative...

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/disaster/drou...iryheifer.html

Here is a link from NC from this year...........it is a PDF file.http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/disaster/dro...ding_corn_stal...

Same article in HTML formathttp://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:O3ZPYb1q9y0J:www.ces.ncsu.edu/di...

Soybean residue is a poorer quality feed than corn stalks and needs
supplemention as well.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/li...BEAN%20RESIDUE

SOYBEAN RESIDUE

Soybean stems are very low in feed value, and animals should not be
forced to consume them. Most of the nutritive value of soybean stover
comes from the pods and leaves. This residue is most efficiently
harvested by grazing ruminants.

Cached article on gooble.............

snip

Care and Good Thru the Winter
Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the input & links. After we (hubby & I) had started talking
about trying the cornstalks & soybeans, the local office of the FSA
started releasing news statements for the farmers to try to do so.
Claim that the round bales of each could be sold for at least $35.00
or so, and that the soybean farmers would make more profit from the
beans by selling them as hay this year since the crops were so damaged
from the drought & heat.

We have already started baling the cornstalks, know some locals that
want to have their soybeans baled so they don't lose their cattle.
Stockyard business is booming with cattlemen taking their cattle to
the market early this year, to keep from having to over-winter them
with the lack of hay. This year, cattlemen & hay farmers alike will be
taking a big punch in the stomach when it comes to profits. Have to do
something to stay afloat. Especially us little guys...so I'm trying to
do as much research as I can on this.

Still doing the google thing....UGH!

Rae