Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Id this for me

In article ,
Leon Fisk wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:38:23 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

snip
Purslane is supposed to be highly nutritious and edible, but I've never
tried it.

I pull it all out every year and every year it comes back, with NO new
soil importation either! It just appears.

I'm wondering if I should just give in and use it as a food plant. ;-)

One mature plant can produce 240,000 seeds which are viable
for 40 years (Weeds of the Northern US and Canada).

It thrives in drought conditions and hoeing is not an
effective remedy. Almost any piece of the plant left to
touch the soil will re-root. It is hard to pull the complete
root of larger plants without loosening the soil first.

It is okay to eat as greens, but I don't need the whole
garden covered with it...

ROFL!!!

I totally understand. :-)
I weed it as aggressively as I do the bindweed (wild morning glory).

THAT stuff would take over the entire back yard if I'd let it, and the
seeds will lay fallow and come up after each rain (or watering) all year
long.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.