Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond project update (or lack of)

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 16:17:28 CST, k wrote:

Rule of thumb is under 50, 45, 40 degrees F.
One of those (jj, what is it...) the filter bugs
shut down. Have to translate that into C.
Anyway, the little critters that do the wonder
work of filtering the water take the winter off
so most ponders turn off their filters for the
winter.

k :-)

Unfortunately that's old information. It use to be that people thought the
bio-bugs died, so they turned off their filters, which affective did kill
them. The new info says most of the bio-bugs build a bio-film around
themselves and just go dormant till conditions improve. A filter will
continue to work to some degree into the 40's. That's why one needs to stop
feeding before this time. The bio-bugs do need water movement thru-out the
winter, why I keep my pre-filter and 1 bio-filter on slow during the down
time. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us