Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Powdery Mildew starting on squash

You've known it but never done it? You sound like me LOL. I read
somewhere that you should exactly that - plant several sucessive crops so
that you have young vigorous plants when the old ones die off. My
cucumbers are pretty much spent, I wish I would have planted some fresh
ones a month ago. My mutant acorn squash was planted in the beginning of
July, and it is healthy, vigorous, no sign of mildew, and just now
starting to produce. I expect to get a lot of goodies from them until the
frost hits.

I always seem to be preoccupied with some other summer thing, or there's
no room in the garden. Pathetic reasons, but it's the truth.

No, they are very good reasons. I planted way too many tomatoes and
tomatillos, and consequently have limited space for other stuff. My
tomatillos are now 7 feet tall (they are supposed to be 3-4 foot tall
plants. My tomatoes outgrew the 8 foot trellises I planted them on, half of
my pathways are overgrown, a bunch of volunteer cosmos and four o'clocks
took over one of the beds, volunteer sunflowers are everywhere - *huge*
volunteer sunflowers, omg, I had no idea a sunflowers could get so big! Half
the garden is infested with volunteer tomatillos, and I just don't have time
to clean up the mess. Plus I'm trying to keep up with mowing the lawn,
working, school, honey doos, etc. There is just never enough time