Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens
Red[_2_] Red[_2_] is offline

Default Id this for me

On Sep 1, 9:11 am, "Dave" wrote:

Seems to be what its called. Appears easy to pull up from moist soil if I
can work my fingers deep enough in the St. Augustine next to it.

Worth a try but I doubt you'll have much success. The tops & small
portion of the roots are very loosly connected to the nut. When you
pull on the top it breaks away from the nut which then forms a new
shoot. Nuts can be as deep as 18" so unless you've got really long
fingers, you'll probably leave the nut in the ground to resprout.

Chemical control is difficult also, yellow being slightly easier than
purple. Here's the recommended herbicides:
Sedgehammer for both yellow and purple.
Basagran or MSMA for yellow.
Image for purple.
(Note that roundup/glyphosate is not listed. It affects tops only but
not the nut).

Ref: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/pmg/hf6.pdf

Red