Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default help! bugs eating citrus plants

On 2/9/07 11:52, in article , "andy_con"
wrote:

ok one good thing my banana plant is doing great
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007315.jpg]

ok heres some more info and pics

the plants are outside against my house
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007316.jpg]

this plant is worst hit, i dont know what it is. its a none fruiting
citrus plant of some sort

[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007317.jpg]
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007318.jpg]

this is my orange plant
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007319.jpg]

this is my lime
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007320.jpg]
i washed all the plants a bit hard with the hose and this little git
came off the lime! its dead now
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007325.jpg]

this is my pepper
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007321.jpg]
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007322.jpg]

this is my lemon
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007323.jpg]
[image:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...092007324.jpg]

Check out Googling on natural predators of these insects. We use them
here
and they work. But they're not cheap and you must continue to use them
until the problem is cured and be prepared to use them again if it
returns.

what is googling?

Google is a search engine. Type www.google.co.uk and up should come the
Google main page. Then click on the UK button and type in "biological
controls" in the search box.

First I'm absolutely sure that you don't have scale insects because
you'd have seen them (and so would I on your pictures), they're flat,
as big as my little finger's nail, brown, and are seriously stuck on
the bark of the branches. There's also lots of sticky white substance
associated with them. You haven't mentioned that. You have aphids and
plant lice, hence the curled leaves but also the ants. It's too late
to do anything once the leaves have curled up. I would keep hosing the
aphids out and let the ants do their stuff or introduce predators. Are
your plant in a greenhouse with other plants?. Also the big chunks out
of the leaves look like a catterpilar's doing. It has now flown
away ... )

the plants are lined up against my house at the moment, im buying a
walk in green house from argos very soon for the winter. so are ants
good or bad for the plants? theres not lots of ants but i do see 3-4 on
each plant?

I don't think ants do them any harm and with winter coming on will soon
disappear anyway.

Found the list I was thinking of:
Against ********** Red Spider Mites: *Phytosieulus persimilis
**³** **************** Whitefly: ************** Encarsia formosa
**³* ***************** Thrips: ***************** Amblyseius cucumeris
**³* ***************** Aphids:* *************** Aphidius
**³* ***************** Mealybug:************* Cryptolaemus
montrouzieri
**³ ****************** Vine Weevil:**********Hortinem (Nematodes)
**³ ****************** Caterpillar:*************Bacillus thuringiensis
(Bacterial powder for spraying)
**³ ****************** Scale Insect:**********Metaphycus helvolus
http://tinyurl.com/2uazjv
There are several people who supply them and below is just one:
http://tinyurl.com/29tzb9

But if you're going to use these, you need to get on with it because
they're
only really effective in the summer months unless they're used in a
heated
greenhouse.

cheers i will check this out

Not one we use here. ;-) Ours arrive in their various containers every
fortnight throughout the season and the little paper packages get hung
up
around the greenhouses or the bottles are opened and scattered around.
Everyone takes a look at various plants as they're walking in and
around the
nursery and the birds do a good job of picking up bits and pieces from
outside, too.

so i could use this hen i buy a walk in green house for the winter?

They need to be used in spring and summer. The suppliers will give you the
guidelines but they're not used in winter unless greenhouses are kept v.
warm. We don't heat ours and the heating only comes on automatically if the
temp. falls to zero.
Ray thinks it's just about enough time now to use it against whitefly but
that's not your problem. Your problem - in his opinion - is a very tiny
caterpillar which gets onto young leaves and twists them up. Sometimes you
see them in a little white web. He doesn't worry about these but if he sees
them he simply takes them off by hand. Keep a look out early next year and
take them off if you see them.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk