Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default hedge plant

On Sep 2, 10:38 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/9/07 10:20, in article ,

"johngood_____" wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
ual.net...
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:21:21 +0100, johngood_____ wrote
(in article ):

Saw a rather smart hedge put in by professional gardeners. Under the
laws
of 'gardeners license' I later borrowed some tiny clippings, which are
the
seven alongside the left edge of the window box in the tinypic webpage
below.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mwczfm

Could anyone identify this plant for me please? Many thanks.

It isn't that clear a picture, but could it be laurel?
Picture he
http://www.english-country-garden.com/a/i/flowers/cherry-laurel-5.jpg

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Thanks for your response. I should have put a coin in to help identify the
size, since the leaves are very much smaller than most laurels I have ever
seen. The leaves are quite small with the biggest only being 30mm long and
12mm wide and most being a lot smaller than that. The hedge was about four
and half feet tall. I initially made me think it was some kind of
cotoneaster. Grateful for any further advice.

Could it be a hebe? How tall is the original hedge you saw and do you know
how old it is?

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

I go with that (Hebe leaves have a funny characteristic boat shape
shape/fold).

Des