Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits

I know this! I know this! Because I've read it! Let me tell 'em! Let me tell
'em! 'Cos I've read this just a few days ago!

'Silk' is the fluffy bit at the end of a corn cob or an ear of corn. When
this turns black or dark brown it's time to check whether the corn is ready
to harvest or not.

The fluffy bits, I'm talking about are at the top and do the pollination.

Now, the pollination is not a dance based upon the music of Frederic
Chopin - I point this out before anyone gets it wrong idea!

Has any of you ever had the feeling that you've started something you wish
you hadn't!

Best regards to all,

John

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

I've never seen this happen before and, out of interest, wondered if
anyone can tell me more about this peculiar ear. I believe the fluffy
bits are, generally, known as 'tassels', by the way, but this, to me,
is no more technical than fluffy bits!

I have always known it as the "silk".

But it's probably no more right than "tassels" or "fluffy bits"!